A clear understanding of people’s area of accountability and autonomy enables greater efficiency, effective collaboration and agility throughout an organization.
A simple way to clarify domains is with a domain description that contains:
- primary driver (the organizational need the domain is designed to respond to)
- key responsibilities (key deliverables, any critical risks to manage, other essential work and decision making being delegated)
- constraints to the autonomy and influence of those the domain is delegated to (the delegatees), usually related to the organization itself (dependencies, involvement of the delegator, reporting etc.)
- resources (time, money, facilities, privileges, tools)
- evaluation criteria and frequency of evaluation
- term (for a role)